Friday, April 9, 2010

Look out for the doggerel...

Three silly poems, for today, but only one can be attributed. This first is favorite from my childhood. It can be a song as well as a poem.

I eat my peas with honey
I've done it all my life
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on the knife.

Recently, at bridge, a recitation of "Peas" began a discussion about other silly verse. The next poem was recalled, but not remembered. With Google to the rescue, another fun poem was discovered, Judged by the Company One Keeps.

The last was first told to me by our minister, when I was quite young and a cold kept my father from church. It is just a few lines, by Ogden Nash.

It is not the cough, that carries you off
Its the coffin they carry you off in.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment