Monday, April 19, 2010

Poems and Picture Ladies

The elementary school, which I attended, used the "The Roberts English Series". Every other chapter or so would begin with a poem some of which may already have been discussed. Today's poem, The Charge of the Light Brigade by Alfred Tennyson is one example. I don't recall studying this poem and rather remember reading it from my older sister's book.

This poem was more sobering when I read it as an adult than as a child. It says as much about blind loyalty -- "...yours but to do and die" -- as it does about heroism -- "...into the jaws of death, into the mouth of hell".

Another elementary school tradition was the "picture lady", a parent volunteer position. The school district had a number of pieces of art, mostly pictures, which were rotated among the schools and in classrooms. The "picture lady" would bring a new piece each month and give some background. There was one piece that I associate with "Light Brigade" although there is not real connection. It was called "The Victor and the Vanquished" and was remarkable because the paint was built up on the canvas perhaps as much as 1/2 inch. It was a fairly gruesome picture. Of all the silly things I have found on the web, an image of this has alluded my searches.

I'm tempted to include the story about plates of tomatoes and the song "Stuck in the Middle with You", but this is getting a bit long.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment