Monday, April 26, 2010

Moon beams...

Today's poem was also shared with me, by a colleague, back in 1998. It is a piece of ancient Chinese poetry called Drinking Alone with the Moon by Li Bai. She learned it as part of applying to school in mainland China. It provided a differentiator besides grades and test scores.

The third and fourth lines --

Till, raising my cup, I asked the bright moon
To bring me my shadow and make us three.

are famous and she taught me how to pronounce them in Mandarin. I searched for good links and was thrilled with the one above. It has a pronunciation guide for each character -- read right to left and the title is included. My time in Taiwan equiped me to recognize the characters for 1, 3, and people (ren). This link gives a number of possible translations.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment