Tuesday, April 13, 2010

An odd couple...

Today, we have a pair of poems that are not usually grouped together. They are both quite famous and seem, to me, to have analysts finding great meaning in much the same way as modern art is often interpretted. Perhaps I'm being too cynical. The larger question is whether I'll regret the grouping toward the end of the month.

It was probably experiments in diversity in education which brought We Real Cool by Gwendolyn Brooks to the suburbs. The link has an audio clip of the author reciting and explaining the origin of the work. I recall mentioning this poem to a colleague a few weeks before hearing of the poet's death.

Another school book favorite is The Red Wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams, considered the author's masterwork. The web has much to say about this poem. I always get the "chickens confused with "ducks" and replace the word "glazed" with "soaked" which probably hinders my appreciation.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment